Monday, May 09, 2005

Some tips for people with a mental disorder

A mental disorder does not have to end your life! Sure there is a stigma. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. If you are suicidal try taking ACTION (other than hurting yourself). There are many choices other than ruminating about suicide. Assertiveness training is a key to taking action. Affirm your own care and selfworth when you have negative thoughts. Example: If my thought is 'I am not worthy of life' than my affirmation would be 'I am worthy of life'. If my thought is 'I would be better off dead' then my affirmation is 'I would be better off alive'. Assert yourself by making a positive thought into a positive action. Example: 'I would be better off alive' so I will go buy some chocolate to treat myself and make my life better. Make positive choices: [simple things first, complex things later].

  • Buy some chocolate
  • Read a book
  • Watch a ballgame on TV
  • Call a friend
  • Go to the library or a bookstore
  • Go to the cafe or diner for a cup of coffee; treat yourself to a meal
  • Get on the computer and send emails; surf the internet
  • Take a walk; volunteer for people less fortunate; etc.

1 comment:

David Stelzer said...

You are welcome LLFFP !!

And I thank you for the comment and the interest in my post. I am understanding Procovery better, and I hope to make better posts in the future!

Your friend in Procovery,

Dave