Saturday, July 30, 2005

Trust, risk, and disclosure

It was not until I trusted a friend that I was able to take a risk. Without this trusted friend I had to remain silent about my experience. All of my experiences were only human but growing up in a silent family and a silent culture I had no way of knowing that! The risk of disclosure was met with a loyal confidentiality. Thus my procovery was begun! Knowing that I was not alone in my experience was a tremendous catharsis and relief. I had carried the burden of silence for years and the burden was lifted when I disclosed my experience to first one confidant, then another, and another. Now that my experience is told and I do not stand condemned by either God or my fellow human confidences I am free. I choose to use my freedom to help others reach a similar level of procovery that I enjoy. Maybe others will help me procover to be a greater resource of openness and trust. There is no sanctuary for fear when fear is the enemy.
Dave :)

1 comment:

Timothy K. Hamilton said...

Wonderful, Dave! So very well expressed. A therapist of mine described "being fully known" as one of the most basic needs. I'm very happy for you!